Changing jobs

Picture of a young woman at work

So your job wasn't working out? Time for a change? Once you've handed in your notice to your old boss, what else do you need to do when starting a new one?

As usual the first step is to find out if you have to pay income tax. You don't need to pay tax if:

  • you're a primary or secondary school student, and
  • your total earnings from all employment are less than $45 a week, and/or
  • your annual earnings¬†will be less than $2,340.

But if you do need to pay tax, you'll have to go through all the procedures as for your first job. Remember that you use the same IRD number for all jobs.

If you're not earning the same amount of money you may now be on a different tax rate and/or you may be eligible for a different tax credit (formerly rebate).

If you're 18 or over and meet the criteria, you'll be automatically enrolled in KiwiSaver by your new employer. This means that contributions will start to be deducted from your pay on your first payday and will continue unless you opt out.

How will this affect you?

Check out  Real lives to see Sarah's story - she's still at school and is changing part-time jobs.