You might already have an IRD number - ask your parent, guardian or caregiver.
What is an IRD number?
An IRD number is a unique identification number from Inland Revenue - and it will last you your whole life. You need to have your IRD number handy every time you deal with us.
Your employer and your bank also need your IRD number to take out the correct amount of tax from any money you earn.
Getting an IRD number is easy!
- Download an IRD number application - individual (IR595) form or call us on 0800 227 774 and we'll send you one.
- Fill in the form and take it along with two original forms of identification, and photocopies of those documents, to:
- any Automobile Association (AA) Driver Licensing Agent
- any PostShop
- a selected New Zealand Post retail outlet.
- Once your application has been verified, the verifier will send it to us. Within 8-10 working days of receiving your application we'll send you a plastic card showing your IRD number.
For further information on how to apply, check out the IR website.
What if you've forgotten your IRD number?
Call us on 0800 227 774 and we'll ask you some personal questions to prove your identity and protect your privacy. Then we'll give you your IRD number over the phone, and send you out a new card.^ Top of page