Skip links

Child support


Goods and services tax

How to contact us


IRD number


Nominated person

Online tools and services

Paying tax

Personal tax summary


Student loans

Summary of earnings

Tax codes

Tax credits

Tax rates

Tax returns

Working for Families Tax Credits


How to contact us

You can contact us a number of ways:

  • on our website and using our online service
  • by calling us, or by
  • writing to us.


Remember to keep your IRD number handy. You can find your IRD number on:

  • your payslip
  • a letter you have received from us
  • or on your myIR account (your number is shown in the top right corner).

Our website and online services

Our website offers a lot of handy services and information. You can:

  • Register for myIR, our secure online services, where you can:
    • send and receive secure mail
    • view your tax, Student Loan, Child Support or Working for Families tax credits account balances and transactions
    • get your earnings information, and
    • request or confirm your PTS or recieve any refunds you may be entitled to.
  • Get it done online - file returns and access forms.
  • Work it out - calculate your tax, entitlements, repayments and due dates.

Voice id

Want to make calling us faster? More secure? Then voice ID is for you.

Voice ID allows us to recognise who you are - just by your voice. Your voice is unique so once you're enrolled, all you need to do is speak your IRD number and we will know it's you.

Voice ID lets us offer you a range of self-services, such as:

  • Check on a refund
  • Get up-to-date account balances and request statements
  • Reset your myIR password
  • Change your address or bank account

To enrol for voice ID, have your IRD number and call 0800 257 843 from somewhere quiet.

Calling us

Personal customer queries
Income tax or general information 0800 775 247
Overdue tax and returns 0800 227 771
Working for Families Tax Credit 0800 227 773
Student loan borrowers
New Zealand based borrowers
Mon-Fri, 8am to 8pm
Sat, 9am to 1pm
from a landline 0800 377 778
from a cellphone 04 978 0762
calling from overseas +64 4 978 0762
Overseas based borrowers
Mon-Fri, 6am to 10pm NZ time
from Australia 1 0800 559 653 (Option 1)
from the United Kingdom 0808 234 0098
from the rest of the world +64 4 916 7114 (Option 1)
fascimile +64 951 2216
Child support queries
Mon to Fri 8 am - 5pm
Calling from New Zealand 0800 221 221
Calling from an Australian landline 1 800 504 042
Calling from overseas +64 9 984 2537
Employers with child support queries 0800 220 222
Business customer queries
Mon to Fri 8 am - 5pm
Sat 9am - 1pm
Income tax or general information 0800 377 744
Employer information 0800 377 772
GST 0800 377 776
Overdue tax and returns 0800 377 771
Postal addresses
Payments Inland Revenue
PO Box 39050
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
Returns Inland Revenue
PO Box 39090 Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
General correspondence Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

What if you don't want to be the one to contact Inland Revenue?

You can always nominate someone else to do it for you.

^ Top of page

For more info on government services go to

© Copyright 2014 Inland Revenue

Change backgrounds? :